Last week we hosted a little get together for friends and neighbors to celebrate the 4th of July. While Mother Nature wasn’t in a very agreeable mood (rain, rain, rain, rain, rain!), we had a pretty great time celebrating with old and new friends alike.
Anyway, as we were planning for the shindig, the hubster suggested I find a vodka recipe on Pinterest so we could finally get rid of a bottle of vodka that’d been sitting around the house for a while (Hey, what can I say? We live in Tennessee – it’s Jack Daniels country down here.) After finding either really boring or really complicated cocktail recipes, I finally landed on this Cranberry Vodka Apple Punch pin.
The folks at Skinny by the Sea posted this as a Christmas holiday punch, which works fine, but it definitely has a pretty summery vibe to me. This vodka punch got rave reviews – and it even seemed to be the drink of choice among our party’s usual beer-loving guys. (Maybe since it was the 4th of July the dudes were more comfortable holding a red, girly drink? Who knows.)
Here are my thoughts on Skinny By the Sea’s Cranberry Apple Vodka Punch:
- Easy, peasy. This recipe comes together super easy. The original recipe on Skinny By the Sea’s page recommends throwing the ingredients in the blender to make them frothy, but since I was serving this “pour it yourself style”, getting it frothy just so it could sit around for hours was going to be a wasted effort, so I skipped it.
- Personalize It! Since this was a 4th of July party, I summer’d the recipe up a bit to make it more seasonal and festive. This is an easy-to-alter recipe to fit your theme… If I make this for a winter party I’ll probably sub in real apple cider instead of the cran-apple juice blend, add in some homemade ginger ale to spice it up and throw in some cranberries for a seasonal garnish. But since this was a summer party, here’s the final recipe I used based on Skinny By the Sea’s original concept:
- 750 ml bottle of Vodka
- 64 oz. bottle of Cran-Apple Juice
- 1 liter of Ginger Ale
- Apple slices
- Strawberry slices
- Booze-free & Still Yummy. Knock out the vodka from this recipe and you’re going to have a great mocktail. This would be a great punch for any party where you need alcohol-free beverage options – baby showers, kids parties and the like.
- Supply the Masses. This punch recipe was about the perfect amount for the dozen or so people that we had over for the party. Adjust the ingredient amounts depending on how many people you’re going to be serving.