In a former life, a dear friend and I started up a cookie company. Our goal was to make traditional cookies, but with a unique twist. Over a couple of margaritas, we toyed around with the classics and came up with the idea of the Peanut Butter & Honey Cookie.
The secret to this cookie’s deliciousness occurs in the last few minutes of baking. With 2 – 3 minutes remaining, I take the peanut butter cookies out of the oven and quickly drizzle honey over each cookie then pop them back into the oven for the last few minutes. This allows the honey to bake into the cookie, but still maintain a prominent flavor.
I highly recommend using organic peanut butter in this recipe. Non-organic peanut butters are full of oils that will affect the final texture of the cookies, they’ll become runny and thin shaped. Give this recipe a whirl and let me know what you think!
Peanut Butter & Honey Cookies
Prep Time: 15 min. + 20 min. to chill | Cook Time: 11 min. | Yield: 16 cookies
- 1 1/4 C. Flour (any variation of flour will work – I like 1/2 C. white + 3/4 C. whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Butter, unsalted, softened to room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 C. Organic Peanut Butter, crunchy or creamy
- 1/2 C. Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C. White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour through salt). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter until very smooth. Slowly mix in brown and white sugars. Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- With the mixer on the low setting, slowly add in flour mixture. Scrape sides as needed to incorporate all ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are just combined.
- Cover dough and place in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. This will help the cookies hold their shape once in the oven.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet (optional, but helps with cleanup). Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls on to cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten dough to make an even surface of the cookies. Make cross-hatch marks on cookies with fork (optional, but people go ga-ga over this old-fashioned touch).
- Pop cookies into oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and quickly drizzle honey in center of each cookie. Try to keep the honey away from the edges, so they don’t become runny.
- Place cookies back in oven for two minutes. Remove from oven when the sides of the cookies are just becoming stiff. The center will still be soft.
- Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes or until the pan has cooled. This will let the cookies finish baking without getting crunchy. Once cooled, remove cookies from pan and place on cooling wire rack for 20 minutes or so.
- Grab a glass of milk, a napkin and gobble up all the Peanut Butter & Honey Cookies you can handle!